Friday, October 22, 2010

Best Holiday Ever!

-->
Alright, I’m finally recovering from being sick and low and behold my favorite holiday of all is soon upon us. Halloween! Why, you might ask, do I consider this the best holiday ever? My response would be…what’s not to love? The costumes, the spooky decorations, the jack-o-lanterns, the candy, the kids, the mystical ambiance, and much more. Even though I’m grownup (whatever that means) I still like putting on a costume and handing out candy. Last year we had almost 200 trick-or-treaters come to our door, and I’m definitely stocking up on candy big time this season.

It’s actually quiet easy to dress up for Halloween at any age. I love going through my garage (or sometimes my parent’s garage) and cobbling bits of things together to make a creative and free costume. This year I’m going as a baseball player (for the Giants of course) and my wife may or may not dress up along the same theme. Maybe with baseball attire, but more of a sandlot type of ballplayer. Either way it should be fun!

The background and history of Halloween fascinates me as well, dating back to the Celtic rites of Samhain (pronounced like sah-ween or something like that) all the way up to more contemporary ghost stories and horror flicks. Actually, there are only a few horror movies I really like, I actually tend to prefer Charlie Brown’s Halloween special to be honest. But there are tons of great books to read this time of year. I pull out my Hawthorne and Poe and anything else that gets me in the mood. Tonight there’s a full moon out so enjoy the Halloween spirit and start stocking up on the candy and the decorations and the fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment