Monday, January 24, 2011

Edits

So far I’m about two-thirds of the way through my edits for my novel The Last Cabin. I’m pretty excited about the way it’s shaping up, as I’m not only getting the word-count down a bit, I’m really sharpening the storyline itself. So what’s this book about again?

I still owe you all a concise synopsis, but here’s the ultra-short version. Basically, it’s a coming-of-age story of a teenage boy living on the colonial frontier. He and his sister are forced to play surrogate mother and father to their younger siblings when they find themselves cutoff and isolated in the last cabin on the Virginia frontier.

I’m pretty satisfied with the plot so my primary focus has turned to improving the prose of the book itself. Namely, by cutting out as many adverbs as I can, eliminating passive voice from creeping up too often, and even limiting my use of adjectives all allows the reader to navigate the story more effectively. Thanks to everyone for your patience and support so far! I hope to have the rest of my edits completed in the next week or two!  

No comments:

Post a Comment