Friday, July 1, 2011

148th Anniversary



Ever wonder what a hundred 19th century cannons going off at once sounds like? Perhaps you prefer stylish parasols and hoop skirts on a warm summer day. If either of these unusual proposals sounds appealing, you should check out a Civil War reenactment this weekend.

July 1st this year marks the 148th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg and tens of thousands of reenactors and many many more audience members will gather to commemorate the event as they do every year. I’m always cognizant of this day, both because of the book I’m currently writing is about the American Civil War (The Long Defeat) and because I take part in Civil War reenactments. I’ve attended plenty of reenactments in California, but unfortunately can’t make it out to the reenactment this weekend in Pennsylvania, but it’s something I’d like to do someday.

So what types of summer events with thousands of people do you like to attend? Renaissance Fairs, Professional Firework Displays, Sports Games? It’s summer and almost 4th of July, so you’ve got an excuse to have fun!   


7 comments:

  1. I'm hoping to go next year. Since I live in PA it feels almost criminal not to go lol but I'm headed to CA for a week. Definitely something I want to attend one of these days though. I think it would be amazing to watch, even more amazing to participate in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reenactment people come from all walks of life and are often very excited to have new people join them. If you're ever at a reenactment in CA the NCWA (http://www.ncwa.org/) is the one I belong to. But whatever event you attend, I'm sure you'd have a good time:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always thought people who take part in reenactments must have a wonderful sense of adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tend to avoid all events that are crowded with that many people ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a football fan, and I love football crowds, but there's not much football in the summer! We do have plenty of Civil War reenactments in Georgia. In time I'll investigate. When I think of July 4, I think of living on Marina Bay in Richmond (CA). Across the water we could watch firework displays from all over the Bay Area simultaneously. No crowds, though. In part, that's made it so special. Makes me homesick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whether you like small or large events, there's probably some reenactment out there that fits your style of enjoyment/adventure:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know July 1st was the anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg. I live in Canada, where July 1st is Canada Day, when Canadians celebrate their independence. But I'm American, so for me, it's a bit of a weird day. Now I have something to celebrate, too. :-)

    I attended a couple of renaissance festivals when I lived in Scotland, but haven't had the opportunity to go to any here in Canada. I enjoy them, though, along with the Circus and Carnivals. And the Farmer's Market on the weekends. I'm pretty tame.

    ReplyDelete