Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Grand Canyon and Zion



Ever gaze into the largest precipice on earth at sunset? Or try hiking upriver through a narrow riverbed in the bottom of a desert canyon? Well, if you like wilderness parks or natural wonders of the world in general, I’ll have to take you along on my next trip.  

This 4th of July weekend my wife and I visited my brother-in-law who works as a park ranger on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Needless to say we saw some sweeping dramatic views of the landscape and engaged in some pretty incredible hikes along the Grand Canyon in Arizona as well as the Narrows of Zion National Park in Utah a few hours away. 

We flew into 110 degree heat in Las Vegas and needless to say I did lots of driving through several states, but got to see a lot of desert beauty along the way. At 8000 and almost 9000 feet of elevation in places my wife and I fell asleep pretty quick after a full day of hiking each evening on our trip. So how was your 4th of July?  


8 comments:

  1. I love the second photograph. The water almost looks like smoke is rising from the surface.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool. My 4th was much less exciting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many years ago I visited that part of the world. It's such an amazing place. I'd love to return one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suze - The water may look cool, but it was pretty cold even in 90 degree heat. Sometimes we were up to our chests in it, bu tit was still neat.

    Hektor - maybe you saw some fireworks? That was the one thing I missed.

    Lynda - it's very cool, but you've got some pretty neat geographical places in Australia too if I recall correctly:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mark...Its a place that I would like to visit someday.Looks like you had a great holiday :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. so true. I'd love to visit them ALL! (I'm not fussy... lol)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those pictures are breathtaking. What incredible landscapes.

    My 4th of July was quiet, but nice. Games with the kids, eating outside. Just a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks all:) I know not everyone celebrates the 4th of July (for obvious reasons), but hopefully you've got some time off this summer whether it's wet, warm, or cold, because any change in weather is a good excuse for a holiday;)

    ReplyDelete