Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Hobbit Comes to Film

 
That's right, down in New Zealand Peter Jackson is about midway into filming scenes for the upcoming two-part movie based on J.R.R. Tolkien's classic The Hobbit. Many returning actors from the LOTR trilogy will appear, including Gandalf, Bilbo (old and young), and somehow even Legolas and Frodo. Don't ask, I'm not quite sure how they could possibly work Frodo in unless they do some strange flash-foreword. Also, expect dwarves....lots and lots of dwarves.

Apparently, two films are in the works, the first of which will be a straight-up version of the book The Hobbit, and a year after that an interpretive Tolkien story that's supposed to bridge the gap between The Hobbit story and the LOTRs. Needless to say, I'm very excited that they're making the films, however, as a book-lover and Tolkienite, I do worry a bit about what exactly the second film will entail considering no specific book was written to bridge the generation between Bilbo and Frodo's times.

Nonetheless, I believe that film helps generate people's interests in books, so in the end I still think Tolkien will have the last laugh (so to speak). I know Harry Potter is coming out soon, but tell me that some of you out there are pumped up about the next series of Middle Earth movies. Any fellow Tolkien fans out there?