Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Giving a Talk to Students


I gave my first talk to college students at my alma mater, Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo on Monday evening. It was pretty rad being part of a panel of other talented folks who use writing and new media in their every day jobs. I talked a lot about my work as a Technical Writer, but also got to connect with students afterwards regarding my fiction writing as well.

I am both flattered and thankful that Cal Poly Career Services reached out to me and invited me to talk at this awesome event. I remember all those feelings, fears, and doubts I had when I was finishing up my college career, wondering what I was going to do with the rest of my life. It was really rewarding to get to share my experiences with other students both in Liberal Arts and other disciplines as they decide how best to begin their careers in writing and other new media fields.

It’s funny to think that seven years ago I was finish up my masters and had no job or apparent prospects on the horizon. Since then I’ve worked as a Tech Writer at places like Google and Facebook, and now have my two-book deal signed with St. Martin’s press for my novels. Here’s to the next seven years, may they be as fun and invigorating!   

No comments:

Post a Comment