Thursday, August 15, 2013

Writing Short-Stories


How often do you write short-stories? How often do you read short-stories? What short-story contests do you follow?

I’ve been on a bit of a short-story writing binge, which is unusual for me, since I’m typically a strictly novelist type of writer (with some poetry once in a while). One thing I’ve really enjoyed about writing short-stories lately is that I can finish a 2,000 to 5,000 word story in a day, instead of taking three months to craft out an 85,000 word novel. So it’s pretty satisfying in that respect. Some of my favorite short-stories to read include Joyce, London, Irving, and Hawthorne.

What do you like to write? Novel? Non-fiction? Short-story? Poetry? Screenplay? Onstage drama? What types of contests have you found where you like to submit your work?