Friday, January 10, 2014

An Audience of One


Who do you write for? Of course we all write for ourselves, but specifically who else do you picture reading your work?

I decided a while ago that my audience is my wife. A fellow English-major, and big time lover of books, my wife has no problem telling me when she doesn’t like something I’m writing, but by the same token she really knows how to encourage me when I write something she truly enjoys.

I realized after writing many different types of stories that if I didn’t write something that thrilled her, then I wasn’t writing the kind of stuff that was in my heart. Novel after novel now, I keep getting closer to the types of stories she really digs, and I have to say it’s been the most rewarding writing experience I’ve ever had as an author. I have some great CPs too, and so long as I keep my wife and that small circle of readers wanting more, I feel that I’ve written the best books I possibly can.

So who influences your work the most? Who is your ultimate reading audience?

No comments:

Post a Comment