Friday, November 21, 2014

San Francisco Olympics Bid 2024

San Francisco has put in its bid for hosting the 2024 Summer Olympics, and is currently one of the top finalists vying for the honor. As an avid sports and Olympics fan, I’m particularly stoked for this opportunity because the San Francisco Bay Area is my home. And, the proposed stadium and Olympic Village would be built just a few miles from my house. Sweet!!!

But of course, 2024 is a long way off, and the bidding begins in earnest for the U.S. candidate city in 2015 with the International Olympic Committee choosing the winning city in 2017. However, only 4 U.S. cities remain in the running: L.A., D.C., Boston, and the City by the Bay. On top of that, we’ll have some stiff international competition from cities such as Paris and Rome.

However, it’ll have been almost 30 years since the U.S. hosted an Olympics, and the IOC is said to be particularly inclined to select a U.S. city for 2024. Especially since few other locations can offer the increased security and economic infrastructure that the games demand. Whatever happens, I’m just glad my hometown is in the running, and I sincerely hope to someday attend the Olympics in person with my children. Fingers crossed!


No comments:

Post a Comment