Friday, May 13, 2011

Gimme a Good Hook ;)


Call Me Ishmael. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.

Think of all the good opening lines you’ve read in your favorite novels. The first line of a story can be so critical and it’s often in those precious moments that a reader decides whether they’ll continue perusing the rest of the book. I often find myself struggling when trying to come up with an opening hook for my own fiction. I have no problem writing the rest of the story, but I always feel that the first sentence could use a little umf to really sparkle and shine. 

So what’s in an opening line? What are some of your favorite hooks from your favorite novels? Or what are some of your own favorite creations for opening hooks? Don’t worry, I’m not looking to steal your brilliant ideas, but I love hearing the creative insights of others as it often inspires me on my own little journeys on the page. So have at it!