Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Why did you first get into writing?



This morning I thought about all the experiences and impressions of my past that led me to an interest in writing: inspirational teachers, great books, and lots of other tiny moments that added up like a bunch of little pebbles that eventually combined into an avalanche. I know it sounds odd, but I still remember the thrill of discovering adjectives as a kid and how they could alter my perception of words on the page, i.e. how a door or a gate suddenly came alive on the page when I referred to it as a red door or a broken gate. The way simple text could evoke an image in my mind fascinated me. 

Of course, reading and writing go hand in hand, and every writer I know is as much inspired by a fascinating series of books as they are by experiences in creative writing. But there are so many other kinds of great writing many of us apply in our daily lives as well: journals, diaries, poetry, screen-plays, brainstorms, and even blogs!

So what first got you into writing? I want to know what events transpired to make you into the quirky would-be writer that you are now. What pushed you over into the madness…err passion for writing? What about it changed your life for the better?


5 comments:

  1. I've always written. But I didn't want to do it "for real" until about 6 years ago. And it really was more of a "why the heck not" moment. I was a stay at home mom, so I had the time - I loved reading, loved writing, had a million stories in my head, knew I was good at writing, and just figured I had nothing to lose by giving it a shot :)

    It's amazing what it's done for my life. It's given me an outlet for all this chaos in my head. It's introduced me to amazing people that feel the same way I do (which has really made me much more confident as a person). I have a purpose, a dream I love and believe in to work for every day.

    I love every minute of it...even the hard, depressing, disappointing moments. They all mesh together into this wonderful journey that I feel so privileged to be on :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wholeheartedly support the "why the heck not" attitude:) And I like how you mention that it's an outlet for the chaos in your head and how it's improved your life as a person in general. After all, what more can you ask? Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always been a reader, so writing just felt natural.been that way. unless i'm writing. it's always been that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always loved reading and started writing a little over ten years ago. I had to write my first novel to get it out of my head and now I can't stop writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, boo...blogger went out and we lost the last 3 or so comments :(

    Thanks to everyone who shared, I really did enjoy your thoughts while they were online!

    ReplyDelete