Monday, August 1, 2011

Citizens of the World


Ever felt a longing for a place you’ve never visited? Or perhaps you love the sound of a language that you don’t even know how to speak? Maybe you’ve made friends with people from different walks of life in different parts of the globe regardless of upbringing and culture? 

I bet plenty of you said “Yes” (especially the bloggers) and one thing I’ve really enjoyed about blogging is the chance to connect with people all over the world. One of my all time favorite authors, Lawrence Durrell, was born in India of partial Irish heritage, schooled in England, and lived much of his life in places like Greece and Egypt, but when asked about his nationality he always referred to himself as “cosmopolitan” because he believed firmly that all people across the earth were united by their common humanity first and that things like national citizenship came in at a distant second. I’m of course proud to come from where I do, but nonetheless, I share some of this sentiment and prefer to view humanity as a single family rather than a collection of separate nation-states. 

I’m not trying to get political here, but merely touching on the personal aspect of connecting with over a hundred of you great readers now and wondered how many of you see yourself compared to the rest of humanity. Do you view the human race more as a single mass or do you think that country/tribal designations still describe us better? Don’t fret, there’s no right answer…I’m just curious what others think.