Monday, November 14, 2011

Writing to Authors



Ever wish you could chat with a favorite author? Maybe you have a few questions to ask or you’d just like to let them know how much they’ve inspired your own work? So why not write them and see?

I’ve blogged about this topic before, but I continue to love to write to favorite authors of mine and share my enthusiasm with them as well as learn some useful tips along the way. I recently wrote to a favorite civil war author of mine, Nick Taylor (who won the Michael Shaara Prize for Civil War fiction two years ago with his novel The Disagreement), and he has started reading my manuscript with the generous offer to write a blurb for my book. Needless to say, I’m thrill beyond words to have one of my favorite published authors actually reading my own story!

So who are some of your favorite authors you’d like to meet? Maybe you’re already pen pals with someone who regularly publishes in your genre? Joyce used to write to Ibsen, so why shouldn’t you write to some novelists who have truly inspired you?