Thursday, February 2, 2012

Insecure Writer’s Day…Groundhog Day



Happy Groundhog Day! Remember that Bill Murray movie entitled Groundhog Day where he lives the same day over and over again? Well, for today’s Insecure Writer’s post I have to admit that my submission process to agents feels somewhat like a continual Groundhog Day.

I’m still waiting on the same three agents who have had partials or full versions of my manuscript, The Long Defeat, since last fall. I’ve tried waiting and I’ve tried pinging them, but either way the response is always the same…they need more time. In the meanwhile, I’ve been hesitant to send out more queries since I already have three interested agents (one of whom asked for an exclusive which I could not grant).

I’m sure several of you have been in the same conundrum before, so I’m curious what did you do? What’s the longest you’ve waited for a response from an interested agent? How do you balance patience with being proactive?