Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Rewrites…A Blessing or a Bane?



How many drafts do you typically create for your manuscripts? Are you a revision hound or do you prefer the inspiration of that first draft? How do you know when you’ve gotten it just right?

I’ve received some great reviews from readers and critique partners for my book The Long Defeat, but I’ve also gotten some really good feedback I want to incorporate into my story. So, I’m back at it again, doing substantial rewrites in order to make my manuscript even sharper. Once upon a time I might have frowned at so many revisions, but now I engage in my rewrites with enthusiasm, knowing that each time I re-craft my novel it makes my story that much better.

Revisions are certainly necessary, but how do you go about them? Do you completely rewrite a section or make more moderate edits throughout? In short, are rewrites a blessing or a chore for you?