Thursday, August 2, 2012

Penchant for Poirot

-->

Who are some of your favorite fictional detectives of all time? Sherlock Holmes of course comes to mind, and everything from Film Noir to Children’s stories abound with heavy mystery/detective elements. But for me, there’s one character who stands above all the rest.

My wife and I love watching/reading Agatha Christie’s Hercule Poirot detective stories. This Belgian detective solves mysteries in the decades before WWII with a cunning mix of attention to detail and a heavy dose of psychology. Poirot is such a beloved character that when Agatha Christie died major newspapers ran an obituary for Poirot, one of the few fictional characters anywhere to receive such an honor.

So what mystery books have you read lately? If you want to get into a Poirot story/short film, I suggest something exotic like The Mystery of the Egyptian Tomb or Death on the Nile for starters. I of course greatly prefer the David Suchet versions. Enjoy, mon ami!