Thursday, March 21, 2013

Myers-Briggs: Meet the Real You


Ever wonder what personality type you are? Maybe you already know which of the sixteen varieties you fall into on the Myers-Briggs test? Not sure what I’m talking about?

In college, my wife and I took the 70+ question Myers-Briggs test for kicks, and based on our responses to a variety of psychological and hypothetical questions it determined our very specific personality traits based on factors such as extrovert/introvert, sensing/intuition, thinking/feeling, and judging/perception. Needless to say, I thought this was a pretty cool test, not only in telling us more about ourselves, but also in the variety of other personalities other people had, ranging from intriguing titles like Mastermind to Fieldmarshal. My personality turned out to be an Idealist Champion and my wife’s a Guardian Protector. I leave it to you to look up the meanings here.  

Not only do these personalities tell us about other people, I thought that they could be some pretty neat characters in literature. Imagine the complex three-dimensional characters you could build by modeling them on actual psychological personality models. So have you taken a Myers-Briggs test? How did it turn out? Did you meet the real you?