Wednesday, July 31, 2013

To Outline or Not To Outline


Do you create an outline before drafting a novel? How about for non-fiction or a short-story? How detailed do you get?

I’ve always been a pretty heavy outline user when it comes to prepping for my next work-in-progress. But for kicks lately I’ve been liberating myself and just flying blind, so to speak. I’ve been surprised at the results, and have actually liked some of the pieces I produced with little or no outlining. But I’m not sure if this is just a passing fad for me, or if I should really explore writing with a looser plan.

Do you find that an outline provides a path for you or restrictions? Do you find that an outline works better for you when writing in the third-person versus writing in the first-person? How do you strike a balance between inspiration and well-laid plans?