Friday, October 8, 2010

Halfway Done!

-->

I know that I’ve got a lot of irons in the fire so-to-speak, but today I wanted to give an update on the historical novel I’m working on set in Colonial America. I recently finished my seventh chapter of fourteen planned in my outline, each chapter being fairly lengthy in of itself. Even though I’m still in the phases of my first draft, I’m pretty excited at the pace I’ve been keeping up.

For those of you unfamiliar with what I’m talking about, allow me to briefly explain. My novel follows a family of seven children, ranging in ages from 4 to 16, who live on the Virginia frontier during the French and Indian War. Through various events, both parents are away when the settlement they live near is attacked and soon the children find themselves isolated on a tiny farm up in the mountains in what is now enemy territory. The novel chiefly focuses on the two eldest children, Joshua and Sarah Roebuck, who struggle to take on the new roles of father and mother over their younger brothers and sisters, all the while trying to survive in their little cabin in the wilderness. Unknown to them, however, a French officer and his Indian allies are actually hunting for them out on the frontier, for reasons that only come to light gradually.

All in all, I’m enjoying the writing, but I must admit that I have run across one problem. The title! I’m not sure yet what exactly I want to call this book. I started with a working title of The Night in Which the Corn Grows, as it comes from Thoreau, but unfortunately I think it’s too long and sounds a bit like the name of a horror flick rather than a historical novel. So with the weekend upon us I need your help. Any good title ideas? Believe me I’m open. I can’t promise much, but anyone who comes up with a winning title gets major kudos and good karma points! So let the ideas flow…  


3 comments:

  1. Congrats on reaching the halfway point! I still think the French and Indian war is unique venue, one not often written about. Good luck with the last half!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Sounds interesting. Hopefully you'll get this finished and your civil war novel published soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the support and encouragement!

    ReplyDelete