Monday, September 20, 2010

Back from Greece!

-->

Alright, so some of you may have wondered why I haven’t blogged for the past two weeks. Well, my wife and I took some much needed vacation time and backpacked through Greece. In a word it was…awesome!

We started in Athens and hit up all the big sights like the Acropolis and the museums before taking a daytrip to the ancient oracle at Delphi. After that we started island hopping via ferries across the sparkling Aegean Sea. I have never seen such perfectly blue water and it felt great to swim in it. Beneath clear blue skies and a searing sun we traversed islands such as Paros, Santorini, and Crete. We hiked through the ruins of Knossos and Phaestos, ate such delicacies as goat (trust me, in Crete the goat is to die for), drank plenty of raki (Greek moonshine), and hiked the breathtaking, but treacherous Samaria Gorge down to the Libyan Sea. All in all, a trip of high adventure.

But we also managed to relax plenty as well, thank God. For my fellow book-lovers out there, I can’t emphasize enough how trekking through Greece was like stepping into a storybook. Places like Athens and Thebes that I had read about in epic mythology or tragedy plays actually exist today, and picturesque towns like Hania on the west coast of Crete look like they came straight out of a renaissance painting with their Venetian ramparts and harbor-side pensions. Don’t listen to all the media garble about Greece in the news right now. Trust me, if you love adventurous hikes, relaxing beaches, and the summer sunshine, book a flight for Greece now. Getting there is the toughest part, but once you’ve done the flight you can hop from one island to another on a shoestring budget and still live like a king. Now, that I’m back to the grind here at home you can look forward to regular updates on my blog once again. Thanks everyone for your patience during my two week hiatus.   


4 comments:

  1. I LOVED Delphi. It was so beautiful and I could honestly feel a power there. It sounds like you had fun hiking around Greece, and one day I'm going to have to go island hopping there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you had a wonderful trip! Wasn't Samaria Gorge awesome? I'll never forget sitting in the Libyan Sea in the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had such a lovely time. I want to hear more about it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delphi and the gorge were both quite awesome. Hania and Paros were great for relaxing and I particularly enjoyed the archeology at Phaestos:)

    ReplyDelete