Friday, September 24, 2010

Reading Aloud


Thank God it’s Friday! In my efforts to send you all into the weekend with some happy thoughts I thought I’d bring up a great little pastime that my wife and I have engaged in over the last few weeks. Good old fashioned…reading out loud.

We’ve chosen The Hobbit for our fireside evenings where we each take turns reading aloud to each other from a chapter or so of the book each night. It’s such a different experience compared to reading a book quietly to yourself alone and it’s a great way to relive one of your favorite books that you may have already read and reread many times over. It’s also a great way to experience a story as a group and not just as an individual.

So, my suggestion to all of you this weekend is to find some valued peers, maybe a loved one, maybe a family member, or maybe even a friend or two and all decide on a favorite book you’d like to read aloud to one another. If you’ve got the right setting and some comfort food or tea nearby that’s always a nice added touch. With the season of fall recently begun and many cold winter nights after that on their way, it’s a pastime worth trying, and who knows, it maybe just the adventure you’ve been looking for! Have a great weekend. 



6 comments:

  1. I love this idea... So cozy for the winter months. I think when October comes 'round, a little Poe might be appropriate for such a venture in our home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poe! Oh my, what Halloween adventures you will have:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read aloud to my daughter every day, but I never thought of reading a book aloud with my husband. We might have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, I'm new here. *waves* Nice to meet you.

    Second, I love the Hobbit. Nice choice.

    I love when my husband reads to me. Sometimes he reads poetry to me while I soaking in the bath. Perfection.

    Usually the only time I read to him is when I'm in final rounds of editing...so I catch ill fitting sentences, typos and such.

    My daughter is a teen now, but I loved reading to her when she was younger. *sigh* It goes by so fast.

    Happy Sunday,
    Lola

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments Stephanie and Lola:)
    I especially like your idea about reading aloud portions of your own work Lola. It's a good idea and I might try it some more myself, thanks for the tip:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think some of the classics (like Peter Pan or anything Shakespear) can be such fun to read out loud since they were originally meant to be read aloud. It helps to bring them to life for our modern audiences.

    ReplyDelete