Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Les Miserables




Ever put off reading a classic for no reason other than you just hadn’t gotten around to it yet? Or perhaps you’ve seen a movie or stage play version of a well known story and figured the book probably wasn’t that different? Once in a while, ever have a book not only live up to all the hype about it, but actually exceed your expectations?

I recently read Victor Hugo’s Les Miserables for the first time…I know, shameful that it took me this long to get around to it…but wow, what a story! I was genuinely moved by the altruistic priest at the beginning of the novel, as well as caught up in the thrilling cat-and-mouse game between Jean Valjean and Javert. What particularly impressed me about Les Mis, was not only its great plot, but its moral and ethical questions which constantly forced me to rethink my thoughts about life and death, and right and wrong. In short, if you haven’t read this classic cover to cover, seek out a copy today!

What books unexpectedly inspired you or changed your perspective of the world? Or perhaps, what classic have you been meaning to read and not gotten around to yet for one reason or another? Any literary New Years resolutions in the works?