Thursday, March 22, 2012

Writing in Multiple Genres



Do you like to read multiple genres? Who doesn’t? But do you know any published authors who write multiple genres?

Inevitably agents and publishers emphasize that an author should stick to one genre. However, as artists, writers often chafe under any restrictions to their art. Oftentimes, well established authors will write under a pseudonym when they publish in other genres, although their fans may know it’s them anyways. I often try to balance historical fiction in my novels, with contemporary themes in my short-stories, but I admit I really love toying with just about any genre.

So what genres do you like to write? How do you balance one type of writing with another in your great scheme? What makes you devote yourself to one genre over another?