Friday, January 22, 2021

Renewed Optimism

I never thought I would go almost an entire year without blogging, but of course the last 12 months have been extraordinary in the extreme. It's one thing to read about history, but it's another entirely to live through it. Between a pandemic, politics, remote work, remote learning for our kids, and a whole other host of things we've all lived through over the past year, I don't need to tell you what a surreal ride it's been.

But I come to you today with a renewed sense of optimism. Most of the problems the world has confronted are still with us today, but things are changing, and for the better. I know more and more people who are getting the vaccine as literally millions around the globe continue to be vaccinated every single day. Like I said, all our problems haven't been solved, but the necessary conditions required for things to get better have come about, and that gives me a renewed sense of hope and faith.

As far as writing goes, it seems almost unthinkable to discuss literature and creative writing when people are literally dying around us or struggling to get food for their next meal. But I think it's actually necessary to continue to create and share art in the days ahead, because we don't exist simply to exist. Art is as necessary as breathing for any soul under heaven, and I hope to share more in the days ahead and to read more from all of you. 

Stay safe and keep spreading the love. 



10 comments:

  1. Art is necessary. Words have so much power. Sometimes to offer a balm. Other times to challenge and motivate. I'm glad to hear you and your family have survived so far this year. I'm so ready to be able to visit my grandkids again! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you get to see the grandkids soon too :)

      Delete
  2. We need to keep creating as people need an escape and something positive right now.
    Good to hear from you, Mark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alex:) Good to see you online too!

      Delete
  3. I read and wrote way more last year. But my reading preference changed almost overnight from thrillers and suspense to light and humorous mysteries and romance. Needed that distraction from the truly serious of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great that you managed to get in more reading and writing:) I hope to do the same this year.

      Delete
  4. Great post, Mark. "We don't exist merely to exist." You are so right. The creative process and creations of art and writing and philosophy give people hope, so it isn't frivolous to pursue these activities. Best of luck on your writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth - I knew you'd understand :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Mark - glad you feel more optimistic ... certainly here in the UK - now Spring and the longer days are increasing every day I feel easier. I really feel for everyone of us living through these times ...
    Glad to see you back ... stay safe and all the best as the year progresses - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little bit more sunlight every day definitely doesn't hurt. Thanks, Hilary:)

      Delete