Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Gereon Rath Mystery Series


I just finished reading the fifth, and latest, novel in the Gereon Rath mystery series. If you haven't had a chance to check out this historical mystery series written by Volker Kutscher, I strongly suggest it. It's also known as Babylon Berlin, after the title of the first book and the TV version available on Netflix. Although the TV version has its good points, it deviates from the books, which I consider to be much better just as they are.

The gist of it is, Gereon Rath is a police detective in Berlin in the waning days of the Weimar Republic. Communists, rising Nazis, and a host of other social issues constantly get in the way of him simply doing his job of catching thieves and murderers. Charly, a progressive young woman in the department, often teams up with him as they solve cases that powers in authority often want to see ignored. 

What really makes this series especially engaging, is that it has fantastic noir elements, but its background social commentary on Germany in the 20s and 30s really resonates in the world today. It shows how things don't rapidly change overnight for the worse, but that a frog can be boiled slowly instead, if that reference makes sense. I find it both alarming and comforting to read a mystery set in this historical time period. Mainly, because I see how the rise of fascist elements today echo certain aspects of that time almost a century ago, but I also see where we have deviated for the better, and are (hopefully) not going down the same path that a democracy like the Weimar Republic once experienced. Anyhow, check it out for yourself, I guarantee you won't be disappointed. 


13 comments:

  1. I remember seeing an experiment where people were persuaded to electro-shock a hapless victim. I thought how could anyone do that but now, today, I understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that experiment as well. The more we learn, the more we can be prepare, I suppose.

      Delete
  2. That is quite the time in history for the setting. Like you said, so much going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, definitely a lot of "what if" moments in history then.

      Delete
  3. My mother had a friend who grew up in Germany during the rise of Hitler. I always found her stories fascinating and her warning that people will trade freedom for safety and security. She was in her late 70s last time I spoke with her and she still had a soft spot for Hitler- though she knew he was a villain because she also remembered all too well how it felt to be starving after the fall of the Weimar Republic and the subsequent economic collapse. We throw around the word fascist so often I fear we will be like that frog in the boiling water.

    Interesting side note...I asked her what is the best way to protect your family from economic collapse? I knew investments would be instantly worthless, but thought maybe land would be of value...she said none of it protected you because you couldn't pay the taxes on anything too big. Perhaps a small farm, a trade that is of value to someone because once it takes a wheelbarrow of cash to buy a loaf of bread, you're best bet is the black market/barter economy for survival.

    I'll have to check out the books. As you can tell by my way too long comment, I love history!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's wonderful you got a chance to speak with someone who experienced such things first hand. All great points! I love history too:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will put these books on my list to read. I always enjoy historical fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The noir elements you mentioned sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the detective and noir elements were very well done:)

      Delete
  7. I'll have to check this out! Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you thinking of writing anything in this time period?

    ReplyDelete