Monday, July 12, 2021

Helping Graduating English Majors


Unless you've been living under a rock, you know that the past couple of years haven't been easy for anyone, but especially so for graduating college students. Fortunately, there are ways to give back and help out. Several years ago, I was tapped to join my Alma mater's English Advisory Board, and I was just down in San Luis Obispo this weekend as we brainstormed new ideas and programs to help newly graduated English Majors navigate the working world. 

As both a Technical Writer by day and a published fiction author by night, I really love helping Literature students find their way after graduation and discover how they can use their degree in order to make a life for themselves. Whether it's technical writing, marketing, teaching, fiction writing, politics, publishing, etc., there's something there for everyone. I especially enjoy giving confidence to students who perhaps though their English degree wasn't as useful as some other pursuits, such as engineering or business. I've certainly found my degrees to be both valuable and valued in the years since I graduated from university.

In these uncertain times, as we emerge optimistically into a post-pandemic world, I really think that's when people sometimes need help and encouragement the most. I'm proud to be a continuing member of the advisory board at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, and I encourage others to get involved with their former Alma maters any way that they can. After all, the most rewarding activities I've found in life are usually those in which we help others. Hope your summer is going well and that sunny days lie ahead for all of us! 

 




14 comments:

  1. What an excellent thing to do. Yes. It's been tough. I wouldn't be surprised if we have a new "generation" based on those with memories before the pandemic and those who came after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I always think of 9/11 for my generation, but I think the pandemic will be a milestone for many.

      Delete
  2. That’s a wonderful thing you’re doing. I love to give back and to help and encourage other writers, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks:) Encouraging readers and writers always gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling :)

      Delete
  3. That's great you are guiding those young people. That's what they need most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely remember the angst and anxiety when I was at that stage, so I'm glad to help:)

      Delete
  4. That's so good for you and for them. You'll all learn things from each other. They will learn so much from you and it has to be a rewarding experience overall. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol! I definitely find myself learning new things all the time still:)

      Delete
  5. Well done! What kind of technical writing do you do? I do a lot of tech ed, in between fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm a Senior Technical Writer at JPMC, having worked in the Tech and Financial industries. But my true love is writing novels:)

      Delete
  6. What a great thing to do to give back and inspire a new generation with your experience. And like you say, we could all do with a bit of encouragement at this time. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you've been able to give back!

    I certainly hope this pandemic is almost over. It's not looking great with the new Delta variant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "the most rewarding activities I've found in life are usually those in which we help others." This is so true. Kudos that you put so much into it. It will really make a difference.

    ReplyDelete