Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Journaling


My wife recently started journaling again and, frankly, it’s an ability I wish I had. Keeping a journal has something of a mystique to me, probably because everyone from famous writers to ordinary citizens turn into introspective artists and keen social critics as they detail their daily musings. It’s a place for simple and true writing, without the categories or constraints imposed on most other forms of writing, such as novels, poems, plays, etc. You can even draw pictures and sketch in your journal!

Needless to say, I’m not very good at journaling. I’ve tried. I really have. Okay, well maybe just a bit over the years. I usually get distracted or completely forget about it in a few days and that rather defeats the point of keeping a journal. Oddly enough, however, I really like the concept of journaling in terms of fictional narratives. I like reading the journals of characters in stories probably more than I do “real” people. Of course there are some great travel journals out there as well, from modern day authors all the way down to the time of Melville or Homer.

I’m trying to decide whether it’s worth taking up the torch again to trying journaling myself. I’m not out to publish any of it, like Virginia Woolf, but at the same time I’m not sure what to put down. Diaries and journals are so private and everything I write always has an audience in mind. Is it a good idea or would I just be talking to myself? Food for thought.

5 comments:

  1. In the hustle and bustle of day to day life, I've found that unless I take the time to "talk to myself" in a jouurnal I end up missing out on the sweet things in life. They just whiz by while I'm thinking about the next chore or task that needs to be accomplished. The act of journaling makes me slow down and enjoy the journey instead of focussing on the destination.

    Journaling is not for everyone. But if it feels cathartic or just plain fun, I say go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have kept a journal regularly since I was about 6 or 7 years old. I have always felt that it was a tool for my own inspection and memory and entertainment. Still, at times I wonder if anyone else will read it someday. If so, what will they make of me? It's a bit of a frightening thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Looks like some of you do some real hardcore journaling:) I suppose I'll have to give it a try, but how do you keep up the diligence of doing it every day or so?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to journal, but now I really only journal about neat things my daughter has done (or more likely, hilarious things she's said). One day I plan to give them to her.

    Journaling can be fun! I just need more time if I wanted to really journal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops, I meant "introspection", not inspection.

    During more exciting times, such as when I lived in Hong Kong, I wrote every night before bed. I wanted to preserve each day and memory. Now that life is a little more mundane, I try to summarize each week on Sunday afternoons, which are generally pretty laid back. It's a matter of habit.

    ReplyDelete