Friday, August 27, 2010

Randomness

-->
Ok, it’s Friday, and with my head filling of thoughts of the weekend my musings tend to grow more random by the moment. But bear with me, I have a random idea just for you. I’ve been writing some poetry lately just for kicks (trust me, novels are still my forte and after a week or two of writing poems it becomes self-evident even to me). But I keep toying with an idea for poetry based on a mix of ancient Greek lyric poetry, Japanese Haikus, and the Western Imagist movement of the early 20th century.

I thought of poems from archaic writers, like Sappho and Archilochus, and how their poetry has such a fresh, modern bent to it, but part of this is due to the fact that what little of their work we have survives in fragments. So, in a way, time and fate has made their poems more terse and to the point than they probably were originally. But I thought to myself, what if you did this to a poem intentionally, i.e. purposely made it fragmented, as though portions were missing.  

For instance, something like “Autumn woods…wines stains…on the bone moon.” Something that not only keeps to a minimum of words, but implies a loss of meaning as well in the open spaces. I’m probably not the first person to think about this concept, so if anyone wiser than me (and there are many of you) would care to enlighten me on the subject I’d greatly appreciate it. Anyway, just some more ponderings from my mind as we get into the weekend. Have a good one! 


No comments:

Post a Comment