Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Haikus are Hard


Okay maybe simply writing a few phrases and calling them a poem isn’t too hard, but I’m finding that making a decent haiku isn’t exactly a piece of cake. Why am I trying to create a piece of Japanese poetry? Well, it all has to do with a contest a fellow blogger of mine is conducting on her site.

Haikus have a rich and varied history, ranging from ancient Japan all the way to modern day poets and authors. Jack Kerouac, for instance wrote a famous haiku back in his San Francisco beat writer days:

Snow in my shoe
Abandoned
Sparrow's nest


I don’t intend to wow anyone with my poem, but I’d still like to take a good crack at it. Fellow blogger and author, Stephanie Thorton, will be accepting submissions from other writers and bloggers and will post the best haiku on her blog in early September. You can join her contest at http://hatshepsutnovel.blogspot.com/. Enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link, Mark! I'm looking forward to seeing your haiku. I thought of one for Hatshepsut the other night before I fell asleep (I thought it was genius, but it probably wasn't), but I didn't write it down.

    Can I remember it now? Of course not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How is Kerouac's poem a haiku? I thought the syllables had to be in a specific order. I got one for him:

    Poor Jack Kerouac
    Can't even write a haiku
    Way too many rules.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie - My haiku probably wont be much, but I'm hoping for an "A" for effort:)

    Stacy - I think haikus in English (or at least for American Beats maybe) don't use the syllables rule that Japanese does. Either way, well done on your poem...I don't think I've ever seen satire used in a haiku before:)

    ReplyDelete