Friday, August 13, 2010

Steal into the Garden

-->
I’ve been in a bit of a Thoreau mood lately as my summer garden comes closer and closer to fruition. When I blogged about spring planting back in April, I was pleasantly surprised to find out how many fellow writers and book-lovers out there also turned out to be avid gardeners and nature lovers. Guess the two go hand in hand.

It’s Friday, and I usually like to give lighter updates when the weekend is upon us, and what better way to enjoy time off than by indulging in the produce of summer. My sunflowers already average about 8 feet a stalk and I’ve probably brought about a dozen pumpkins into the house in the last few weeks alone. The tomatoes are still on the way and I’ve sewn a new crop of lettuce too. This year I’ve given a try at growing ruby sweet corn, and my 6 and 7 foot high stalks should provide me with plenty of ears within the next month or so. All perfect for that summertime barbeque or just having an evening meal in the yard.

Perhaps the thing I really love most about gardening is its ability to center me and focus on what really matters. It’s easy to get caught up in the day to day grind of work or school or other responsibilities. But whatever man-made rules society creates about money and other elements of the “real world” I know that the simple, quiet growth of my plants stems from the source of all things that actually matter. And besides, on a nice summer day it’s a great place to read a book! So take it easy this weekend and enjoy a couple days off.   

   

2 comments:

  1. Hooray for the crops! It is interesting that readers are also often gardeners. Both hobbies are a bit old-fashioned these days I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Old fashioned! (just kidding) Well...maybe, but they're still awesome and good for the soul:)

    ReplyDelete