Friday, February 25, 2011

With or Without You


I listened to U2 this morning on my way to work and it feels lately like the “With or Without You” song applies to my continued editing efforts. I say this with a smile of course. All my writing endeavors have gone great, but the editing is a serious time drain.

I'm simultaneously doing double edits/rewrites for both my colonial story, The Last Cabin, and my civil war novel, The Long Defeat. A few weeks ago I thought I was done, but not so. It's going well, and I really feel that I'm improving both stories drastically. Every day I gain a new respect for what intensive rewrites can do for a manuscript.

On the flip side, it means more and more hours typing away. So if my blog posts seems a bit more scattered than usual, please know that it's all in the name of improving my writing. Nonetheless, I'm still dedicated to my blog and hope to have some more intriguing posts for you early next week. Have a great weekend!



5 comments:

  1. I do my best to avoid working on two projects at once- it makes me feel like I have Multiple Personality Disorder. So I know what you mean.

    I'm not sure if I've offered before, but if you ever need a beta, I'd definitely be up for reading your work. You know historical fiction is my thing and I truly love the Civil War!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Listening to U2 right now as I read this! New Years Day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm starting to think that editing is just a never ending process. That no matter how great you think it is, there's always something you can make better. It's frustrating really, but in its own way addictive. Sometimes I think you really just need someone to stop you and say ENOUGH! YOU'RE DONE!

    It's tough to be working on more than one project at the same time as well. I've been going back and forth between two manuscripts (though 1st draft). But it's nice, too. I don't always feel inspired to work on one, so I switch to the other then. Good luck with your edits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm impressed by anyone who can work on two novels at the same time. That's a lot of hard work and concentration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the sympathy:) I'll definitely take some of you up on your offers as beta-readers! I'm always more than thrilled to read drafts of material you guys have out there as well so please don't hesitate to ping me for feedback. Glad to know I'm not the only one out there trying to do it all at once;)

    ReplyDelete