Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Writer’s Organizations



What exactly is a writer’s organization? Where are they and what are they all about? Should I join one or not?

Technically, almost anything can be considered a writer’s org, from reading groups to people running conferences, but what I’m focusing on here deals more with the types of associates listed here. I’m pretty much a novice myself at navigating the spectrum of writer’s organizations, although I’m sure plenty of you belong or have belonged to one at some point. Although a writer’s craft can be a solitary one, when it comes to getting good feedback and really promoting your work in the open marketplace, being a writer is anything but solitary.

So what are your thoughts and experiences regarding writer’s orgs? Are they worthwhile endeavors for burgeoning authors? Do you belong to any writer’s organizations?