Friday, June 17, 2011

Monetizing Your Blog…Entrepreneurial or Selling Out?



Have you ever thought about monetizing your blog or does the thought of mixing art and advertising turn your stomach? I work at Google, a little known company you may have heard about that owns Blogger amongst other things, and they certainly encourage ads. However, my blog is my personal webspace, and I’m not sure whether allowing advertisements on it is a good idea or not. 

The obvious pro is that you could make money, but probably not very much. The con is that it may affect how you’re perceived by your readership and it may mess with the artistic flow of your website. Of the many blogs I peruse I admit that most don’t seem to display ads, but I’m not sure if that’s because they choose not to use them or that they don’t know that blogger allows for easy monetizing. 

So what do you think? Is allowing ads on your blog kosher or does it make something stink in the land of Denmark? I’m somewhat on the fence regarding this issue myself so I’d love to know your thoughts, thanks!