Monday, June 20, 2011

Summer Solstice and Summer Reading



June 21st marks the summer solstice and what better way to enjoy the long stretch of daylight than picking out those favorite summer reading lists you've been dying to tackle. Some people might look at me strange for getting excited over summer reading, but my fellow book-enthusiasts out there know what I'm talking about. Everything from libraries to schools to bookstores will publish their suggested summer reading lists for book-lovers to tackle during the warm summer months.

Of course, you can generate your own summer reading list based on whatever you like, but just as spring cleaning acts as an incentive to start tidying the house, so too does summer reading help get the literate of the world to indulge in books with newfound passion. Personally, not only do I like to read new books over the summer, I like to tackle old favorites. I find summer a great time to reread books that I love and others I've been meaning to get back to because the joys of rereading a classic are boundless.

So what tomes will you pick up this summer? Do you prefer to use a bookstore/school reading list or do you like to strike out on your own? What do you do in order to get into the groove of summer reading?